Sunday 16 May 2010

Wellington, New Zealand

Arrived safely yesterday after 3 hours on a HUGE ferry, one that's big enough to have 4 levels, level 1 has trains, level 2 trucks & cars, level 3 general public, level 4 special class (you pay $20 extra to go there - I didn't so I can't tell you much about it).

We managed to avoid the bad weather which was arriving in Picton as we were leaving & when we arrived here in Wellington the weather was cloudy but not pouring with rain as it had been earlier in the day.

I'm staying at the Base Backpackers which is very nice, sorta a NYC feel to it with high ceilings and the lift is that old school type like dad's apartment use to have.

Yesterday afternoon I had a bit of a walk around town, down Courtenay Place, through the Courtenay Quarter, which is known for theatres, galleries and hostels.  Then down Manners Street, through the Cuba Quarter, known for funky boutiques, art galleries, cafes and the opera house.  Then onto Willis Street through the Lambton Quarter which is renown for high end shopping, heritage government buildings and the cable car.

Once I got to the cable car I took that up to see the view of the city from above and then decided to walk back down to to the city via the walk through the Botanical Gardens, which are beautiful even though it's fall here and none of the flowers are out.  At the end of the walk I took a mini detour so I could see the Parliament building which is also called the Beehive - you can guess why!

Today I went to see Te papa, the Museum of New Zealand, which was amazing - you can get lost in it's 6 levels with all of it's displays.  I also walked along the waterfront area, until it started to rain, then I came back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment