Monday 22 February 2010

Livingstone, Zambia

We arrived into Livingstone yesterday afternoon around 2pm, after driving in the rain all morning long.  The rainy season is Southern Africa is in full swing & everything is soaking wet at this point.  Sara woke up in a puddle this morning, literally a puddle!  The mattress had kept her mostly dry, but the edges of the sleeping bag which had slipped off the sides were very wet & goodness only knows when it will dry, since the weather is forecasted to rain for next 10 days (aka the rest of our trip).

Upon arriving in Livingstone, we went straight to Victoria Falls for 2 hours - what fun to see - Niagra Falls is apparently 1/5 the size, but since Sara has never been to NF she cannot compare, except to say that Victoria Falls is breathtaking!  It was almost sunny during our time at the falls, which considering how wet it's been the past few days was a miracle :-) Sara was able to take a few photos, but some times the spray from the falls was so heavy that she couldn't take photos without risking ruining her camera with water damage.

In front of the falls there is a walking bridge, which Sara went on cause the mist/spray from the falls was so heavy she couldn't see how high up she was and therefore wasn't scared to cross it - lol.  In doing so, anything that wasn't covered by her raincoat got DRENCHED, but was able to dry since it was reasonably warm for the rest of the time.  Sara got to see some people bungy jump off the bridge which goes to Zimbabwe & decided NEVER in a million years would she ever even think about doing that, I mean for goodness sakes you all know what a woose she is about going on rollar coasters, can you imagine her going on something like that???

We'll be here in Livingstone for the next 3 nights and then we head to Botswana and then South Africa.

This morning as I was walking from our tent to the buffet breakfast which is offered with our camping fees I almost thought I was in Florida for a second.  The grass is the same type as I remember from my aunt & grandmother's yards in FL and there are many palm trees and the small after the rain in FL is similar to here as well.  Plus it's the type of rain which isn't so bad since it's warm weather you never really feel cold, just WET!

Hi all, Sara here, just wanted to say quickly that I have to be honest, I'm getting a bit sick & tired of camping in the rain.  I love camping, but camping in the rain for a week straight where you wake up with a puddle in your tent is not exactly my idea of a holiday!  But to be honest, compared to some others I'm with I'm dealing with the weather quite well.  Today my tent mate, Stef & I decided to upgrade to a "permenant tent" which is only slightly larger than our travelling tent, but it's up on a cement slab (so no waking up in a puddle), had electricity (small lamp & fan) and 2 beds in it - smaller than Boy Scout tents which I spent many a summer in, but to be dry is very important, as I've been sneezing a lot & woke up with a sore throat today.  Last thing in the world I want is to get sick right now!!  Only 9 more nights before I'm in Jo'burg & then I fly to Sydney, Australia - YIPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!  I'm really looking forward to that . . . not to say I'm not enjoying this as I am, but I've been wanting to go to Australia since I was about 10!


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to hear from you. Glad your wet tent problem is taken care of. I haven't been to Niagara Falls either. Guess the Victoria ones must just be spectacular! We're perking along here working on the wedding. Patty's picked a photographer and caterer. Still not sure about the venue yet. Dad and I went to the Unitarian Church in glens falls to hear the minister there as a possible person to do the ceremony. Liked him--spiritual rather than religious.
    Have a great time as you continue along. Big snow coming supposedly. We'll see. Not holding my breath. If it's good will take pix. Love, Mommio

    ReplyDelete